MONTH OF AUTHORIZED ACCESS
“OUR ACCESS IN THE SON”
“THE OPEN DOOR”
“For through Him (Christ) we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.” Ephesians 2:18 KJV
“In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of Him.” Ephesians 3:12 KJV
“For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries.” I Corinthians 16:9 KJV
On the morning of Sunday 1st March 2015, the man of God, Dr. Shawn Smith, inaugurated the month of March by sharing something very crucial with the saints of Gospel of Christ Ministries, concerning firstly, our access to God and the open door. In the first part, he started off by asserting that the Lord Jesus Christ is not a way-maker, He is the way; in other words, it is in Him that we encounter the Father. He added that many times people do not know how to use the right of access which the Lord Jesus Christ has bestowed on us as a result of our union with Him. Most saints live in a sense of condemnation and in this notion of an externalisation of God and in an understanding of distance between them and God. Such Christians will say that they need to get closer to God.
The highest form of peace which is premium peace is peace with God. Peace with God is having the complete knowledge of what God thinks of us. In the psychology of relationships, you cannot have a wholesome relationship with someone unless you know what they think about you. And it is in that awareness of being known that a relationship can be sustained. Many Christians are weak simply because they do not know what God thinks about them, and so they take their assumptions and suppositions to be the knowledge of God.
Dr. Shawn explained the meaning of the word access and how it has been used historically. He indicated that it is the Greek word “prosagoge” and it means, to be given a direct face-to-face audience. In the Roman Empire there was a name given to the door which led to the audience room with the Caesar, it was called “presagog”, from the word “prosagoge”. There were multitudes of people who desired to have audience with Caesar, as such a minister of audiences was appointed by Rome called the Chamberlain. He listened to every request and had the charge to make sure he admitted only those who had requests he knew the Caesar will grant. As such, when you crossed the door of the presagog, you knew that the king had granted your request even before asking anything. It is with this historical background that Paul uses the word access,implying that the same access that Jesus has with the Father, through Him, we both (Christ & the believer) have access by one Spirit unto the Father (Ephesians 2:18).
Jesus Christ revealed as the Open Door
In the second part, Dr. Shawn signified that the Father spoke to him by the Spirit of prophecy about Jesus Christ revealed as the Open Door. Ministering from several Pauline texts, the man of God, Dr. Shawn Smith, exegeted the meaning and significance of the open door, why the door is open, the characteristics of an open door and the three doors which the Lord opens to us: the door of utterance (Colossians 4:3), the door of faith (Acts 16:14-15) and the door of love (Revelation 3:7-10).
Dr. Shawn explained that the terminology, “great door” is translated from the statement, “a massive door”. It refers to the doors of a canal by which a ship is able to enter in with all of its cargo and goods. God has opened such a door. He explained that such a door was opened for more efficient and excellent service. Dr. Shawn explained that God uses us in spite of our weaknesses, which is why grace leaves us without any excuses because those weaknesses do not constitute excuses to make progress in God. He added that we are not just brought into the knowledge of Jesus Christ to merely contemplate on our position, but the result of contemplating our position is the divine influence of His grace within us which has an outward manifestation of accomplishments beyond human ability. This is that to which God has called us particularly in this year.
An open door is a great and significant opportunity given by God in the midst of impassable circumstances, engineered to present to you the needed option to advance and make remarkable progress in the plan of God. It always results in advancement in the plan of God. Dr. Shawn indicated that of each and every one of us God has foreordained a role we should fulfil in His plan at every stage of our lives, and at each stage something other than what we knew in the past is to emerge of us.
We are all running the heavenly race, but we are not all at the same phases, we are not all at the same level of progress. That is why it is vital at strategic seasons of your life to do a spiritual inspection of the progress that you have made. For us to move to the next phase of our lives, there is always an open door.
Dr. Shawn went on to list the characteristics of an open door as being surrounded with what seems to be impenetrable walls. Unfortunately may Christians, in the face of oppositions and challenges, give up, thinking that hostility is an indication of failure. Whenever you have tried to fulfil something and you have failed because there are oppositions, it is not time to relent, and it is the persuasion that in the midst of those apparent failures and oppositions, there must be a great door for effectual service which God has opened for you. And that is how you locate a door that God has opened for you. In the midst of opposition there will always be an opening which you are to pursue.
An open door is not a result of your own making and it has nothing to do with your own efforts. When you cross an open door, you gain experience. An open door is a divinely granted opportunity in the midst of other unworkable options. When the other options do not work, it is the indication that there is a door God has opened for you. This is so because many times God in His wisdom knows that our minds get dispersed by many things and when we are to take the doors He has for us, suddenly, other things do not work, things which we may have thought could operate with ease. This is the indication that there is a door that God has opened for you that you have not yet located. The sign that you have entered a door that God has for you is that you no longer do things ordinarily, there comes an infusion of a grace that causes you to exceed the limits, that causes you to go beyond the ordinary. Abba, Father.
- Thanking the Father for revealing Jesus Christ as the open door;
- Thanking the Father that He will give us the opportunity to introduce the gospel to someone and we will not postpone it;
- Praying that we will discern the particular thing that the Son of God wants our faith to focus on and participate in the faith of the Son of God in our hearts;
- Thanking the Father that He has opened a great door for us for more efficient and excellent service;
- Thanking the Father that He has given us a great and significant opportunity in the midst of impassable circumstances, engineered to present to us the needed option to advance and make remarkable progress in His plan;
- Thanking the Father for the ability to discern the doors that He has opened for us to move to the next phase of our lives;
- Thanking the Father that Jesus Christ who has perichoretic union with the Father has included us into that union, so that what He is to the Father, in Him we are to the Father, and therefore what He has right to as the Son of God, we equally have right to as the son placed in the Son;
- Thanking the Father that our confidence is the faith of Him, because it is in His access that we have boldness;
- Thanking the Father that by the faith of the Son of God, the answer to my request has come because my Father hears me always;
- Thanking the Father that the Holy Spirit is working in us to bring us into that which the Father has foreordained for us;
- Thanking the Father that we will make advancement in His foreordained plan because there will be a renewal of the sense of consecration and we will be available for the Father to make of us who He wants us to be by correcting our plans and changing our agendas;
- Thanking the Father that He will reveal to us whatever He wants us to do and what He has prepared for us;
- Thanking the Father for our right of access in the Son and that in Him we have been given direct face-to-face access with the Father;
- Thanking the Father that through the revelation of our righteousness we can experience the true peace of God;
- Thanking the Father that we have the same rights as Jesus and when we pray in His name He is the one praying;
- Thanking the Father that in Christ we have the same right of access as His Son Jesus;
- Thanking the Father that we do not need to approach Him with hesitation, fear and sin consciousness;
- Thanking the Father that the result of contemplating our position in Christ is the divine influence of His grace within us which has an outward manifestation of accomplishments beyond human ability;
- Thanking the Father that in the midst of opposition we are going to patiently pursue with endurance and perseverance because we have perceived the door that God has opened for us;
- Praying that we will pursue the door God opens for us even if it appears to have small beginnings;
- Praying that God may enlighten the eyes of our understanding to see things from His perspective;
- Thanking the Father that we will be ready for a new thing and we are willing to be stretched and have our mentality elasticized and have our minds adjusted for something new;
- That we will seize the opportunity to demonstrate faithfulness in order to be entrusted with greater things, and we receive God’s grace to renew stewardship and responsibility by increasing our ability to respond to His ability;